Home Energy Assistance

The Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP) provides assistance for heating costs, electric costs, and energy crisis situations. Most types of fuel are eligible to receive assistance. Whether you use wood, propane, natural gas, electricity, or fuel oil to heat your home, energy assistance is available if you qualify. If eligible, this assistance is a 1 time payment during the heating season (October 1 through May 15) as long as funding remains available. Benefits are not intended to cover the entire cost of your home energy needs. In most cases, the energy assistance benefit is paid directly to the energy supplier.

Please visit the Home Energy Assistance program online for further information.

To schedule an appointment or for all other home energy assistance questions, please call 800-721-3301.
Appointments for energy assistance are no longer taken at Ozaukee county Department of Human Services or Ozaukee Works. All appointments for energy assistance are taken at:
Energy Services, Inc
885 Badger Circle
Grafton WI 53024
Several satellite outreach sites have been established by appointment only throughout the county to assure that those most in need are able to reach the closest application site. Contact Energy Services for Ozaukee County for more information.

  • Photo identification
  • Social Security cards for all members of your household
  • Your most recent energy bill
  • Written proof of your household's gross income for the three months prior to your application, such as:
    • Payroll stubs
    • Child support printout
    • Unemployment printout
    • Social Security benefit
You can call the State of Wisconsin at the numbers listed below for the above information. Only the person receiving the benefit or paying the child support may call to receive this information.
  • Child Support - 800-991-5530
  • Unemployment - 800-494-4944
  • Social Security - 800-772-1213